Before I get my new produce box from Lemon Lime Delivery, I usually clean out my fridge in preparation for it. I occasionally have a few veggies leftover. If so, I make vegetable soup. I LOVE making soup from scratch. You can modify this recipe with whatever vegetables you have on hand and to suit whatever your dietary needs are.
(1) Olive oil (or any other oil or fat)
(2) Aromatics (such as onion, garlic, celery, carrot)
(3) Diced mixed vegetables.
(4) Bullion of choice
Leftover cooked meat from last nights dinner? You can dice that and add it in also towards the end of cooking (optional).
(1) Saute your onion and/or garlic in a bit of heated oil until soft (do not brown).
(2) Add your aromatics and saute several minutes. Add your diced veggies and saute another few minutes. I usually add a bit of salt in with the diced veggies to help them cook.
(3) Add enough broth to cover the vegetables and bullion to taste. Add in any herbs you desire such as rosemary and thyme.
(4) Cook over a low boil until the vegetables are tender. If you want to add additional starch such as rice or pasta you can cook it separately or add it in towards the end of cooking.
(5) Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
To create some different textures and flavor, I always mash the cooked soup a bit with a potato masher and finish the soup by stirring in some Parmesan cheese. Any leftovers can be frozen.